Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fans' Day, Dining and Walking Alone @ Gangnam

October 16 ~ Monday

This is the day we tagged as "Fans' Day". Why? We were supposed to go to 3 management companies namely, BOF [Bae Yong Joon and So Ji Sub], JYPE [Rain] and DSP Entertainment [SS501] but apparently we were only able to go to 2.

Both BOF and JYPE are in Gangnam but on opposite sides. We first decided to go to JYPE to give the gifts that my friends prepared for Rain.

noticed all the bags we are carrying?
each one of us is carrying a bag full of gifts for our idols ^^

From Cheongdam subway station, we walked for several minutes just to see the landmark that we are looking for, the Hotel Prima.

First three were taken at the busy street of Cheongdam station.


We finally found it but had a hard time looking for the street where JYPE is located. Several more minutes passed and we found JYPE with fans from Taiwan already waiting outside for Rain.
The landmark we were looking for ~ Prima Hotel ^^

In front of JYPE a friend of Bambie then called the office of JYPE to go down and get the gifts for Rain. Then we were told that Rain might be coming in a short while. We waited for only a few minutes until my friends finished signing and leaving messages for Rain at the parking lot of JYPE office then we left.

The graffiti wall of JYPE's parking.
Philippine flag in gold ink written by my friends ^^

hee, see my name written there?

Before proceeding to our next stop we took out lunch first at the first restaurant that we saw in Kangnam and that KFC ^^.

While having our lunch, there was a group of middle school students crying. At first we were all wondering what happened. Then we saw a newspaper in front of them. What's that news? TVXQ's Yunho being hospitalized after a fan gave a drink which he took with adhesive. Geez, never seen such reaction from fans ^^ we thought that there was a fight or someone failed but we were wrong.

Anyway, before leaving KFC, i had to study first to map going to BOF. It could have been a lot easier if we got off from the Gangnam-gu station because it's just a cross away from the exit. But since we decided to go first to JYPE we had to walk for about 30 minutes to reach BOF's office.

Buildings, building and more building on our way to BOF's office.

When i finally saw the building I was looking for and saw the name of Key East at the signage of the building located at the right side on top of the building gave a big sigh. Finally, I'll be able to see BOF's office.

It was only Rica, Anne and I who went up to the 16th floor. The rest of my friends just waited at the bus stop for us [i think they got tired from too much walking].

When the door of the elevator opened at the 16th floor my heart was beating so fast. I'm excited and at the same time scared that someone might ask us to get down. The lobby of BOF is small and empty but it looks so clean. I then called the number of the person to call which Style gave [thanks so much Style of the number and tip] and told her that I'm from the Philippines and have gifts for Ji Sub and Yong Joon. While waiting we took the opportunity to have our photos taken at the signages of BOF and KeyEast. A few minutes more passed then a cute young lady came out and entertained us. She speaks English very well but i forgot to ask for her name. I gave her all the gifts [for Yong Joon, Ji Sub and Mgr Yang which i think she was a bit surprised] including some delicacies from our country to be shared by BOF staff.

Then i asked for her help in calling Park BOF. We were supposed to go to BOF at 3pm after JYPE but since it took us some time to locate JYPE i just told my friends to proceed to BOF since i don't want to bring back to the guesthouse the gifts for BYJ, SJS and BOF's staff. That cute young girl was very helpful, she came back to us 2 times, called Park BOF to re-schedule our visit and gave me the number to call if i'll have anymore problems. Btw, she was a bit surprised when i told her that the other bag is for the staff to share.

While at the lobby of BOF waiting, I'm surprised to see young looking staff coming and going the entrance using the electronic keypad to enter. On our way down, a tall good looking young staff, wearing a KeyEast identification card entered the elevator car we took. I would have wanted to talk t him and ask questions but i too shy to do it.

After BOF's office, I was planning to ask my friends to proceed to Park BOF since we already have a schedule there. But i can see from their faces that they're not that interested anymore so i decided to just go there tomorrow morning alone.

Monday was also the schedule day to dine at Gorilla in the Kitchen. Though some of my friends didn't confirmed to me before who will be joining me [though some did and some didn't because of the price and they're not byj fans] I didn't ask anymore. But since we didn't have any definite itinerary after BOF, i thought that they want to go there before proceeding anywhere. Until we reached again Cheongdam station that they all decided to go to 63rd Building.

Before going to Korea, i promised myself that i would go to Gorilla with or without anyone going with me. If i let this opportunity pass, when would the next time be? So even if i have to go alone, ride the subway and look for the place by myself i'll do it.

Honestly, I'm afraid to go alone to look for Gorilla but at the same time excited for this adventure in a foreign country. I think that it showed in my face that i'm scared when I told my friends that I won't be joining them. I asked one to go with me but she doesn't want to so i didn't push anymore. I know they're also a bit worried but i assured them than i can do it. So at Cheongdam station I took the other way and they headed to go to 63rd Building.

My Gorilla adventure begins.

I studied closely the subway map and went down at Shinsa station and went out at exit 4. Then which way to go? I don't know. I then went to this pharmacy to inquire. A very nice pharmacist who speaks english helped me. She called Gorilla for instruction then drew a map with hangul characters for me to give to the taxi driver.

I took a cab then in 10 minutes i'm already at Gorilla. I could have walked, which would probably take me 30 minutes or taken the bus but i'm don't know yet how the bus system works in Seoul.

When I saw the signage of Gorilla my heart were beating fast because of excitement. All my worries of being alone were gone. A tall young looking waiter greeted me and assisted me. I asked to be seated at the corner. I was then place at the corner near the open dining area at the back. I then immediately noticed JP inside the cubicle talking with 2 people.

There were many patron at the time i arrived. Almost all the table were taken and even tables at the open area were either occupied or a place card with "reserved" were placed.

The waiter gave me the menu. I carefully read what was on the menu and looked around at the table near me to see how big is the serving. I decided to order first Grilled Garlic Chicken Breast with Olive Oil. Then will decide on what to order later.

While waiting for my food i had fun observing the area and the people eating at Gorilla. Hee, I think i'm the only one in jeans and sneakers [blushing]. JP was still talking to the people inside the cubicle, then they went to the machine. So i'm guessing that JP is assessing the customer's health.

Honestly, i'm so ashamed to take photos inside the Gorilla alone. So all my shots were stolen shots [without flash]. If probably i've my friends with me I could have taken so many photos. Anyway, here are some of the stolen shots of JP and the food that i ordered.

Near the open dining area where i was seated i could see a table with a very very nice looking guy which i think is an actor and he is dressed up like a model. But i couldn't place where i've seen him. A few minutes passed he left the table with another male companion leaving 3 in the table. Then 3 more arrived and ate with the 3 who left. Geez, i was like huh? Are these entertainment people?

I stayed at Gorilla for about 2 hours eating, reading [good thing i brought a book], writing [my journal] and observing. The whole time i was at Gorilla, JP would always have visitors inside. The only time he'll be free was when i think he's assessing the paper from one machine and using his notebook.

Oh btw, at the other restaurant across the street, i was told by the waiter that Ji Jin Hee was there. I asked because I can see so many flashing of lights coming from the camera.

The Grilled Garlic Chicken Breast with Olive Oil i had is already enough for me. It's quite heavy. I like the taste of it. Just enough for my taste buds. I would have wanted to order some desserts but i don't think that my stomach can take it anymore. Btw, I finished the 2 sidedishes that was served.

I wanted to go at the 2nd floor, but how? When JP left Gorilla at around 8:30pm I then decided to leave Gorilla.

So I went to the cashier and paid for my bill, i asked for the ladies room. It's on the 2nd floor! Great! So I went to did my thing ^^. The toilet has 2 cubicles and very clear. After using the toilet I then took the opportunity to take photos of the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor was half full of customers.

I like staying at the 1st floor better because of the activities going there. And whenever people come my heart beats fast thinking that it might be Yong Joon or So Ji Sub ^^

I left Gorilla feeling so happy. At last I've seen and dined where Yong Joon and Ji Sub been. I love the ambiance and the place. I promise to be back again.

On my way home I decided to walk and look for the nearest subway station. I didn't go to Shinsa anymore, I decided to take the opposite direction which is Apgujeong. It took me 30 minutes to get there but walking alone in the Gangnam area was so enjoyable. I think being able to dine at Gorilla gave me the courage to be alone in Seoul. ^^

My feet brought me to Apgujeoung and some other places which i didn't have the chance to remember anymore.

I was looking for the nearest subway station but couldn't find any. I then finally decided to ask this young lady. Lucky she speaks in English [my lucky night indeed] and she even accompanied me the subway. Her name is YoungMin and she's a student at Yonsei University. She's very nice and friendly. She even offered me and my friends for a tour at Yonsei on Wednesday from 3-5pm unfortunately we cannot make it. We exchanged numbers and email address. I already sent her an email and hopefully that Yonsei tour will be next Spring.

I got to the guesthouse at 10pm. I came a little early than my friends who went to 63rd building. Told them of my adventure and how nice it was to walk the streets of Seoul alone. Told them too that on the next day I'll be going to Park BOF. Since i don't think they're also interested, I decided to go by myself again. ^^

It was one beautiful evening. I never thought that i could go out alone in a foreign country. If I'll have the chance to do it again. I'll do it again. I'm so proud of myself ^^.

Oh, here are some photos of my friends at 63rd Building. Though i didn't have a chance to visit the famous building, I again promise myself to visit it on my next trip to Seoul.

5 comments:

yokee 요키 said...

congrats liezle on ur 'lone-venture' ^^

u know..first timer always hv luck. just like my first time..there's always someone there who can speak english to help u.

reading ur journal till here makes me really really wanna go 'back'. there are so many things that ive missed and so many more things to do again and so so many other new things to see n do !

esp namsan...ive been there twice n yet ive never taken the ride. baboo !

anyway..i love reading ur travellogue...waiting for the next one ^^

liezle said...

hi there yokee!

when i go back to seoul i'll do it again. ^^ but hopefully the next time i go to gorilla i'll hae somebody to go with me so that i'll have the courage to go to JP and take photo of him. likewise, get nice shots of gorilla and its staff.

btw, we didn't take the ride as well. hee, anyway, there is still next time ^^

bbmag said...

hey, don't worry la... i remember during one of my trips in seoul, i was solo for some four days, since my parents came back to singapore after the packaged tour whilst i extended my stay.

it's not that bad, and seoul's relatively safe and easy to get around :)

so proud of you, gal! and yes yes yes! you've gone to gorilla! i soooo... want to go!

hehe, i feel almost ashamed to say this... despite have gone to korea five times, and each time spending at least a week, i've not been to namsan, taken the cable car. and... this is the worst... i've not been to yong pyeong! haha! see? there's always something left for a next trip :p

waiting eagerly for the next blog posting, liezle! and... you're really a pretty gal :)

Anonymous said...

liezle ur so nakakainget promise!
hope i can go to baeland soon.
waiting 4 ur next post.
thanks!
mymy

Anonymous said...

hey liezle, I'm real proud of you!
going solo in a strange city all for the love of BYJ! Is this the first time you did that? Bravo!

I was wondering why you still haven't gone to any BYJ's spots 4 days after you've landed in Seoul?! I'm so glad you went to Gorilla and even saw JP! Next time liezle, you have to go with the Bae sisters, then you can stay in BOF Park, Gorilla, Tea Loft, ChunCheon for as long as you want. You'll breathing, smelling, seeing, talking BYJ on your whole trip!

Can't wait to read your Park BOF experience. Thanks for sharing your exciting trip with us.

agree with bb, you look real pretty and sweet!